Saturday, May 31, 2014

ADMIRABLE ARCHES

Arches in buildings and designs over the years have been attributed with a broad spectrum of adjectives ranging from majestic, towering, magnificent to cosily vaulted and warmly niched, just to name a few.

Historically, arches have also been associated with triumph and sorrow, holy buildings and royal seats - they truly are a cultural and architectural triumph (apparently dating as far back as the Mesopotamian period)- I think primarily, because of the delicate structural balance of compression forces vying with each other to hold them upright but even more so because they are infinitely pleasing to the eye.

For me personally, arches epitomise the charm of a place - whether they are eighty feet tall or eight feet low vaulted ceilings, in old buildings in Rome or new ones in Dubai - they give the place a definite character that would be sorely lacking without. There is something infinitely secure and serene about their soaring sinuous curves that defy gravity and raises the human eyes in appreciation.

My dream room -   a library with a vaulted ceiling and arched niches in natural bricks or stones which serve as book shelves and seating alcoves between them. A cosily burning tall fireplace, weathered leather settee with my favourite soft throw and walla! I would consider myself in heaven - I keep telling myself, one day...





The Librarian by one of my favourite artists ALIM RAKHMATULLEAV

The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...