Tuesday, February 19, 2013

SPREADING SWEETNESS AND LIGHT


One of my all-time favourite book characters which has always managed to put a smile on my face is  ‘Uncle Fred’ a  figment of genius humourist author PG WodeHouse’s imagination, who perpetually seeks to spread ‘ sweetness and light’  much to the alarm of those around him, as he invariably  ends up creating chaos and getting everyone else around him in a muddle. His nephew (and I remember his name well, as I found his character and name so funny) " Pongo", is forever fearful of his Uncle descending on him on one of his missions to spread ‘sweetness & light’.

Speaking of light, I am not particularly fond of wall or hanging ceiling lights (except recessed, accent or picture lights). Infact guests in my house, on a number of occasions have reached for the light switch and flicked it on, and then stood around puzzled, because most wall switches in my home donot turn any lights on –  I rely on mid-room-height lamps to spread ‘softness & light’ – rather than harsh light beaming down from above. Having said that, I must add, I have been pretty impressed by some of the new wall and ceiling light designs out there.  Some of  which can be conversation starters  (if you are short of words, that is…) a wall-climbing night light, hang-me-dead lamp (uh! morbid, whoever came up with that one obviously doesnot understand sublety), a leaking faucet which is not leaking rather illuminating, and talking of faucets, would you like to have a goldfish swimming in yours?
But the sweetness is the idea behind some of these deigns, the leaking faucet light is meant to make you think about conserving energy because the more you turn the knob, the brighter the light gets, and the goldfish faucet is just a plain old guilt  trip into getting you to use less water, if you leave the tap running, the water drains from the goldfish bowl and it dies …

So next time you are out buying something for your home, choose designs that spread a bit of sweetness and light...






The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...