Wednesday, February 20, 2013

EMBRACE YOUR DARK SIDE


 

When I moved from the bright, sunny albeit turbulent climes of  Northern Pakistan (Islamabad to be precise) to wet, windy but calmer shores of western UK (Bristol to be precise) nothing struck me more than the black colour so eagerly and reverently embraced by the Goth culture rampant there. The heavy kohl lined eyes, stark against the pale skin, black as night lips, the obvious disregard for current fashion, matched with the sombre looks and the “I am here and I am not happy about it” persona, intrigued and I must confess, frightened me.

We South Asians, are born in colour, we embrace it like fish embraces water in an unrestrained, life-hanging-by-a-(colorful)-thread sort of way. Our marriage ceremonies, our homes, our public transport are rife with colour. I  grew up in Peshawar, for those who don't know the place, it  is a tribal stronghold of Taliban-ish people now, but back when I was growing up, it was a fairly decent place, very tribal then as well but peaceful and green. I have the loveliest of childhood memories of the place - and I remember how a newly bought car had to be properly vandalized with vivid tinsels and curtains and cushions to make it look ‘half-decent’ – as if without bright and flashy adornments it would seem naked. I was recently reminded of this by a picture a dear acquaintance Ali Qureshi  posted on facebook,  which says it all.
                                      Photo: Very Pakistani

But as I grew accustomed to the ‘darker-side’ of the western world, I slowly began to appreciate the sombreness and solemnity that darker, heavier colours convey. There was something serene about these colours; they communicated a stillness and gravity that dancing, bouncing bright colours did not. They served a purpose, created a restrained but obvious ambience – in fact, black is now the colour of choice for most designers. Black says ‘look at me, I am here’ –  you will always stop, take stock and look around as you enter a room painted black, it has that kind of command on you.

So next time you are looking at colour swatches, think about embracing your dark side, you might be pleasantly surprised...

 



The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...