Thursday, February 21, 2013

ENCOUNTER ELEGANCE


Elegance is an attribute that I have always admired in others, and at times tried to emulate myself, but somehow I feel it has always eluded me – I have come close, but never close enough to be or feel truly elegant. It is also an attribute we see less of now. There is a saying in France that elegance is the privilege of age, so true -  but women nowadays will go to all kind of lengths to hang on to their youth rather than gracefully age and  glide into a style that defines their age, wisdom and experiences (I myself am guilty of trawling through endless websites that promise recapturing youth). An elegant  women is one who is not only put together on the outside, but has an assuredness about her that tells you she looks on her past life with good humour, has no regrets and enjoys each  waking moment to the full, because she appreciates life. I think the battle with age should be fought philosophically, because no amount of surgoen’s knife can obliterate the insecurities that plague women’s minds. Wouldn’t it be wonderful, if we all accepted our age, revered the wisdom that came with it, and effortlessly exuberated  elegance and style that younger generation could only wish for?


And just like truly elegant people are few and far between, truly elegant interiors, or designers who know how to pull off an elegant style are few and far between as well. One designer, who I have followed for more than a decade is +Barbara Barry -(and when I say followed, I don’t mean in a horrible stalking way but professionally kept up to date with her designs) - and I can assuredly say about this lady that she has never, ever fallen short of elegance in her personal style or her  interiors.  Her designs and style ethos always resonates home with me. I always feel like ‘Yes! That’s how I would have done it’ every time I see her interiors in a glossy magazine.

 One thing I have in common with Barbara is designing furniture – (she has her own line of furniture and I designed lounge chairs for my  long lost enterprise)  - and once you start thinking about the lines of a piece of furniture and how it would sit among other pieces and look from different angles, you start appreciating quality craftsmanship, you understand proportion, symmetry and harmony – and that is where  Barbara excels in her craft -  she has a very keen eye, not only for style but she knows quality when she sees it and settles for nothing less. Her interiors are perfectly put together, with harmony and balance, nothing screams out - you step into one of her rooms and you know you have slipped into faded elegant comfort of a bygone era.

Check out her website www.barbarabarry.com , you’ll  assuredly encounter elegance.




The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...