Monday, February 25, 2013

ABOUT ALIM AND HIS ART


At times in your life you come across things so exquisite, you simply can’t wait to share their wonder with others. A perfect cup of coffee, a delectable dessert, a beautiful afternoon on the beach, a splendid sunset… whatever it is that has made your heart beat a bit faster or your eyes go a bit wider is worth disclosing to the world – so someone out there can enjoy the same wonder and awe.


I had this feeling of wonder when I first stumbled across the art of this amazingly talented Uzbek artist Alim Rekhmatullaev  - I remember it was on one of my mundane searches on the net for some images that I  wanted to use as ‘conversation starters’ for one of the  language groups I was working with at the time. With a cup of tea in one hand, I was casually scanning page after page on google images for interesting pictures  - when I was completely taken in by the whimsical lines of one of his paintings there simply called ‘solar wind’ -  his  painting had soul, was fluid, and had an exquisite refinement and a play of light along with the most intricate patterns reminiscent of architectural designs on old buildings of a bygone era. I was hooked and searched him instead.
Solar Wind
 
 
Alim’s art is decidedly steeped in poetry and has a deliberate philosophical shade to it.  I later found most of his paintings are based on Sufism (mystical poets of the 12th century) , poems (rubayat) of  Omar Khayyam and sonnets of Shakespeare. He works in both watercolours and oils – recently I contacted the gallery in London that represents him and was so pleased when he agreed to do a commissioned piece for me  – it now has a place of pride in my living room and gives me ultimate wonder and whimsical bliss every time I look at it.

You can view more of Alim’s art on  www.bolshoyart.com 

 

The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...