Thursday, October 30, 2014

Set in Vintage Stones: Katrin's Renaissance Jewellery

In today's cyber tech, fast paced world, you do come across people -and I count myself among those- who have a true appreciation of arts and crafts of days gone by and a grudging respect for the unhurried labour of love that was the requisite back then for any craft. But it is very seldom you come across someone who goes the extra mile and actively seeks to master an age old craft to recreate some of the romance, glamour and éclat of olden days. Now these people are truly a rare find, but their craft is even rarer because they unwittingly follow the aesthetics, techniques and rigorous standards set by master artisans of the past which sets them and their craft head and shoulder above their contemporaries.

One such artist for me, who was a absolutely delight to find thanks to our ever expanding cyber world (it does have its merits!) is Estonian jewellery maker Katrin. When I first saw her designed jewellery, I was instantly struck by how different it looked from others -in its intricate detail, in the colourful juxtaposition of tightly woven beautiful beads and the rich, deep sparkle of loosely dangling rhinestones and lustrous pearls - which I later learnt, were all vintage, sourced from far and wide by Katrin herself.  Each piece of jewellery is handmade, lovingly set with Katrin's brilliant eye for aesthetics and attention to detail with vintage beads and pearls from Japan, France, Czech....she is  forever sourcing and adding to her collection (you can find out more about her brilliant vintage beads collection and her designs on her blog Renaissance of Jewellery (http://mdm-beadalot.blogspot.ae)

In Katrin's own words:

My inspiration comes from usually the materials (rhinestones, beads and pearls), but also other designers, vintage dresses, architecture, and... dreams. The Victorian/Georgian seed-pearl jewellery, mourning jewellery and Bohemian filigree jewellery are always in the back of my mind. When you combine these, you'll have the 1900-30s French and Czech designer styles. And these 1920-30s designers inspired Miriam Haskell in return. So - everything is connected.

I have tried different techniques. When I began the journey there was no tutorials or books. After some galleries of handmade jewellery emerged on the web I looked at the photos and tried to understand how it was made. It's seems a bit silly now, but I kind of had to re-invent everything because there was no-one who could teach me. It taught me patience and that everything is possible when there's something you want to achieve.


I'm usually asked alot who was my teacher or what book or tutorial did I use. They're a bit disappointed that I can't name anyone/-thing. I started from almost nothing...
...it started, when I was a girl and I was re-organizing my mothers jewellery box with her. There were two identical beaded Czech necklaces and my mother gave me the broken one telling me that I could do what ever I wanted with it. And, so I did.


Katrin is a self-taught, hobbyist jewellry maker (who day jobs as a teacher) and has a real passion and in depth knowledge of vintage beads and a very keen aesthetics for their setting and that shows in her designed jewellery. If you know nothing about her and come across her jewellery, like I did initially, you will feel something amazing, something different in her craft and that is the past rearing its head because she pays homage to the glamour and elegance of the 1940s 1950s era - the vintage beads add authenticity and give a richness and flair to her designs. Although Katrin has been designing and making jewellery for seventeen years, she has only made her designs accessible to retail in the last five years through her company MdmButik on Etsy.com. Her jewellery is romantic, whimsical and utterly gorgeous - every women's dream!

I have the huge pleasure of owing a small (and growing) number of Katrin's designed jewellery and get raving complements on those every time I have worn them across three continents - which just goes to show the universality of art and crafts, they are understood and appreciated because they speak the same language wherever you go - of elegance, beauty and loving labour.








The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...