Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sultry Summers

Summers has one of two effects on people - they either reach for their whites and pastels in cool shades of aqua and green, trying to recapture the feel of cool summer breezes or they go all out and don their brightest, sunniest and loudest colours paying homage to the brightness all around.

 Whichever one you choose to be - and I myself have oscillated between one and the other over the years - the pull of summer and it's affect on you is undeniable. The sultry heat, the welcome shade of verandah and trees, the pleasant, relatively cooler evenings all serve to bring out the best and the fun in you. You are suddenly reaching for tall cool lemonades, serving fresh exotic salads and having lazy summer Bar-be-ques with near and dear ones. Some of my best memories are built around these times - sharing laughter and stories late into the warm nights.

Summer is the time when I am most tempted to revamp my home as well - small changes here and there that make a world of difference - such as changing cushion covers on settees to a sunnier, brighter hue - or putting extra pots of fresh flowers on side tables. But to be honest that's as far as I go - I am not bold enough to go all out and embrace summer colours and bold patterns - and I really admire designs and designers who bring in patterns and bright colours together in an eclectic, heady mix - because I can see how they work together, but could have never imagined it myself.

One of my favorite pastimes these days, flicking through images of inspiring summer interiors - here's some for you to enjoy as well...














The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...