Monday, February 18, 2013

DESIGN REKINDLED



They say your life follows the highways, foothills and tracks that's destined for you - all I know is these past weeks, it has surprisingly forced me to think (from unexpected quarters) of my design background (which I had stopped practicing professionally seven years ago). True, you never leave design, its all around you to appreciate and critique, but you do stop thinking about it every time you enter a room - you do stop re-arranging furniture, stripping fabric off chairs (mentally, ofcourse, unbeknown to the host!) sweeping your eye over room dimensions, proportions, essence of day light, mood lighting....) So what surprised me these past weeks was, people, out of the blue, spoke to me of design, and these are people who don't know my design background. Most surprising was when I got an instant reply to a job I applied to (a job as far unrelated to any aspect of design as you can think) asking me for my interior design photos -  they had picked on my tiny mention on the last page of my CV - ignoring the two full pages of my experience in the job they had advertised!   And then I stumbled across this saying by Johann Wolfgang Von Geothe (a German writer/artist) and I am pretty sure he meant both sexes, not just man (unless he was a sexist, which he might have been, who knows) when he said; '... a man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of beauty which God has implanted in the human soul'. I knew than I had to rekindle my love for design, pay homage to what inspires and moves me the most, words designed to read and inspire, music designed to move and touch the soul, or rooms designed to relax and serenade! So here goes my first blog...

The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...