Friday, August 28, 2015

Endless Possibilities

Life presents one with endless possibilities.

Growing up I truly believed I had at my disposal endless possibilities, paths yet to be trodden, routes yet to be mapped - the world was my playground, living was an exciting prospect, every day unfolded new and newer avenues to skip down soaking up the delights on the way. I loved learning and school and books which were opening up my mind and increasing my wonder at all the things out there to choose, experience and savour.

And then I grew up and experienced 'real' life.

A life strapped down by responsibilities, duties and commitments. I was a wife, a  mother, a home-maker. The world wasn't my playground anymore, more a to-do errand list that I mentally ticked off every day. Experiences, good, bad and ugly, just rolled on me rather than me choosing to experience something. All exciting possibilities grew distant and distant, even books read failed to ignite wonder and passion for things unknown as I knew them to be mere words not possibilities. I drew little comfort from the fact that duties and responsibilities are marks of a person raised well - a sense of commitment to their jobs, regard for their elderly, fidelity to their partners, obligations towards their kids, loyalty to their friends -  all of these govern our daily existence and make us who we are.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depends on how you choose to look at it.

There are no "endless possibilities" in life. We are all like balloons, tethered to a string, some short, some long, all up in the sky together, blowing gently this way and that, but tethered nevertheless.  Those that break free and soar up are free-spirited ones, faced perhaps, with endless-possibilities, the rest of us, will stay tethered till the end of our time.




The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...