Friday, January 16, 2015

COVETING COURTYARDS

When I have a few hours to myself, I dream often of building my own summer retreat one day - a small cottage or a chalet somewhere tucked away in the mountains, not too far away from civilisation but far enough to breathe cleaner, fresher air and enjoy nature and all it has to offer.

Sometimes the dream turns into a yearning for greenery and mountains- living in Dubai can bring that on - and I find myself reaching for my sketch pad and drawing lines and angles that turn into rooms and spaces of my "imaginary" retreat. Pages upon pages of my sketch pad are filled with drawings of such plans - some dating back a decade and a half (yes, I am quite consistent in my dreams however I maybe in waking life!)  and as I flick through them, I see that I always try and squeeze three features into my designs -three design nuances not necessarily associated with cottages or chalet-like structures, I must add here.

The first is a  central courtyard - or my outdoors, indoor place as I call it. I know I love the verandah in my parents house and cherish the time spent there but often feel it is somewhat exposed to outside elements and lacks privacy - for example I would never lounge and just dose off there, no matter how relaxed I am feeling, hence my ingenious central courtyard in my designs because I figure it will give me the privacy to be as I want to be.

In some of my drawings, the courtyard is the main hub with all rooms surrounding and opening onto it, in others the main entrance door to the cottage opens onto the courtyard and the main rooms are reached after walking the length of the courtyard, in yet other plans, the central courtyard is off the main reception and flanked on either side by narrow arched walkways that lead to other rooms. But in whatever shape or form, it is always, always there -that outdoor space for lazy summer afternoons and evening barbecues.

The second is a reading space or a cosy nook flanked on either side by ceiling height shelves for books. I always try and keep this space tucked away from activity spaces like the kitchen or reception room and somehow try and squeeze in a real fireplace on an adjacent wall with enough space in front for a comfortable chair or small sofa.

The third is a dorm-style sleeping area - a long room with single beds along one wall reminiscent of boarding schools and shared giggles and secrets and perhaps Japanese-style sliding dividers in between or just plain curtains to pull around?

Now tell me I am crazy - and I'll tell you the beauty of dreams, you can afford to be as cuckoo as you like and no one bats an eyelid, escapism at its very best!

The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...