Tuesday, October 14, 2014

LAYERS of PERSONALITY: In Rooms and People

Personality:the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individuals distinctive character

I have been guilty of taking people at face value many a times, even through I know people are multi-faceted with layers of characteristics and traits that make up their personality- some of these traits of character, as revealed to me over time, are pleasantly surprising, others disappointing, occasionally I come across reprehensible or annoying traits or perhaps mundane and commonplace ones. But does that ever stop me from making a first impression and filing it neatly away in my memory - not really. I still hold on to that first impression long after I have known them, or until and unless they do something really drastic to change my opinion of them. 

Similarly rooms create strong first impressions as well, we get the vibe, or the feel of the room as soon as we enter through a door the very first time - and that first distinctive impression stays and lingers, even though like people rooms have many undercurrents and display characteristics that are only revealed on close encounters.

This is the one thing, and the most important thing that I keep in mind when designing my rooms-  the first impression. What impact do I want it to create on those seeing it for the first time, what kind of vibe do I want it to give out - cheerful and formal or sophisticated but informal? Loud and vibrant or subtle and calm?  Only once I get past that hurdle, that all important decision, do I focus on the details, the colours, the hues, the textures, the furniture and the placement of it.

But something also to bear in mind while designing a room is that on close perusals, rooms (again like people's personality traits) have many layers to their design, a blend of hues and moods and interchanging accents brought on by changing lights, changing seasons and changing accessories.

 Daylight accentuates certain characteristics while night lights highlights other. So even the littlest of details is not really little, if you think about it - every little characteristic of the room will have its moment of glory where it catches people's attention.  God is in the details, someone said,  and as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, successful designers know the art of layering a room - giving it subtle layers of sometimes contrasting, sometimes complementing characteristics - just like personality traits- that build up their overall first impression to maximum impact. 

I am always astounded by how little changes can entirely change the feel of the room. Just moving the position of  a lamp, or even changing the wattage of bulb in a lamp can throw the entire room in a different light (excuse the pun!). Another very subtle change which completely lifts the room from being merely-homely to sophisticated-homely is introducing silver accents. A photo-frame here, a small tray there, even silver studs as edging on upholstered chairs, silver- jeweled tie-backs - and there! your room has a whole new cosmopolitan feel. Warmth is another vibe fairly easy to achieve without breaking the bank. A smart wool or fur throw, loose weave or tweed cushions, double layer curtains and your room will send a vibe so snug and warm your guest will never want to leave!

Subtle changes, but striking outcomes - something to bear in mind when we want to be brutally honest about our shortcomings and really want to change our not-so-proud-of-personality-traits to become a better, wholesome person! Change the little, and big changes will follow, I promise you!

Here are a few of my favourite rooms, for various reasons, but mostly because I like their first impressions.
















The Offended

We have become a global community on taking offense over anything and everything. We not only take offense on a daily basis over trivial ...